Saturday, May 21, 2011

Rice Peepsie Treats

I recently did a bit of long-overdue spring cleaning and found some reasonably embarrassing things in my pantry – among them, some Peeps which should have met their delicious demise last month, along with their pastel-colored marshmallow brethren. Being a budget-conscious gal, I never let anything go to waste when I can help it, so I went online and found the most brilliant (and really common-sense, I can’t believe I didn’t think of it) way to turn your past-due peeps into a tasty twist on a favorite dessert. Round up your Rice Krispies coupons, your old Easter candies, and a bit of butter – that’s all you’ll need to make “Rice Peepsie Treats!”
INGREDIENTS
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
3-4 dozen peeps, or a mix of peeps and plain marshmallows equal to ten ounces
6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal


In a large saucepan, melt the butter at low heat. Add Peeps (and marshmallows, if you’re using them) and stir continuously over low heat until melted. Remove from heat and mix in Rice Krispies until well-coated. Spread into a 13x9x2” pan with a buttered spoon or spatula and let cool, then cut into two inch squares.

I like these treats because they give the traditional Rice Krispies a colorful twist, and they’re just about the easiest recipe in the world (besides peanut butter and jelly, I suppose). And don’t miss out on these Rice Krispies coupons when you make your Peepsie Treats – a coupon or two will make this recipe cheap-cheap-cheap to make (haha …peeps are chicks, chicks go ‘cheep’ … ok, I’m stretching the joke a bit….just go eat your dang dessert).

No comments:

Post a Comment