Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Amazing Three-Tiered Trix Cake

Inspired by an episode of Extreme Couponing, I went a little grocery-crazy. I bought enough cereal, canned soup, and deodorant to keep and army well-fed and smelling fresh for a fortnight. Unable to resist awesome Trix coupons, I created a bit of a problem for myself: I over-stocked my pantry to the point that I had to start keeping groceries on my bookshelf, in my dresser, and even under the couch. I really cant resist a deal! I understand that true extreme couponers create store-rooms to remedy this problem, but my apartment is too small for me to dedicate extra space to my excess cereal. When faced with a glut of boxed breakfast, I decided to look up alternative ways to eat cereal. This recipe is my favorite of all the ones I found, because it’s a piece of cake (literally and figuratively, of course!).


Ingredients:
2/3 cup butter or margarine
14 cups marshmallows (yep—fourteen! You’ll see why)
20 cups of Trix Cereal
2 boxes Fruit Roll-Ups, for decorating
Directions:
Line three round cake pans with foil, leaving foil hanging over the edge of each pan for easy cake removal. You’ll need a 6x2” round pan, a 8x2” round pan, and a 10x2” round pan to make the cake tiers.
Melt 1/3 cup butter in a 4 quart microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for about one minute, add 7 cups of marshmallows ad mix. Microwave another 2 minutes, or until marshmallows are metled. Add 10 cups of cereal and mix to coat.
Press into the biggest cake pan. Repeat the above melt-and-mix procedure using the remaining cereal, butter, and marshmallows and spread remaining mixture between the two smaller pans. Allow to cool for at least one hour.
To assemble, remove the layers and stack on a large cake plate. You can use fruit snacks and extra cereal to create the frosting-like decorations – get creative!
To serve the cake, you’ll need a serrated knife to cut the pieces – serve by layer and enjoy!

I know you want to get your hands on some Trix coupons after seeing this recipe, right?! It’s so simple, but the combination of colors in the cereal and the fancy presentation really packs a punch. I think this cake would be perfect for a kid’s birthday party – what do you think? Would you make this cake?

No comments:

Post a Comment