Sunday, August 14, 2011

Foie Gras Donuts? I'll Take the Plain Glazed, Thanks.


I have a pretty liberal appetite when it comes to sweets – cookies, cakes, donuts, danishes, tarts, muffins, cupcakes, whatever. If it has sugar I’m down. But you all will not believe about the totally weird donut one Brooklyn shop is selling! I thought that I was adventurous because I’ve used Dunkin Donuts coupons to try almost everything the shop offers, but I’m not nearly open-minded enough to try this one.

            It’s a foie gras filled donut! Some might think this French delicacy donut sounds like heaven, but I’m calling foul. I just think it sounds icky – the idea of voluntarily ingesting goose or duck liver freaks me out. Some people pay a lot of money for that, and I won’t judge. Vegan food blogger Annie Harnett is judging, though.

            "Birds should not have to suffer for donuts," the animal advocate writes in a petition to Do or Dine. Apparently, ducks and geese have to be force-fed to get fatty livers – and that just gives me more reason to never want to eat foie gras. Ever.
            Another reason to avoid the donut delicacies – even if you aren’t concerned about the well-being of our fine feathered friends – is that these particular donuts cost eleven bucks a pop. I can’t imagine forking that much over for a single donut when I can get enough donuts to feed my whole office for the same amount with Dunkin Donuts coupons

No comments:

Post a Comment